“Recent changes brought in by the Finance Act 2019”
CPD (Continuing Professional Development)
1. Mr. M. Hannelas, Director, Large Taxpayer Department, Mauritius Revenue Authority
Mr. Hannelas has some 40 years’ experience in taxation. He has occupied some senior positions in the Mauritius Public Service. He has served as Chief Investigating Officer at the Income Tax Department, Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax and Commissioner Large Taxpayer Department. In 2006 when the MRA was set up, he became Director of the Medium & Small Taxpayer Department and occupied this position until April 2013. He is presently Director, Large Taxpayer Department at the MRA. He is a Fellow member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) of UK and is a member of the Mauritius Institute of Professional Accountants (MIPA). He holds a Post Graduate degree in Tax administration from the University of Paris Dauphine, France. In addition to his duties as Director, Large Taxpayer, Mr Hannelas is also the Head of the Tax Treaty negotiation team for Mauritius and represents the country in the meetings of the OECD BEPs Inclusive Framework, Forum on Harmful Tax Practices (FHTP) and the OECD Global Forum Global Forum on Transparency and Exchange of Information for Tax Purposes. For many years he has lectured in Business & International Taxation for the University of Mauritius, University of Technology, Mauritius (UTM), Open University of Mauritius and the MRA Training Academy.
2. Mr. D. Ramdin, Director OSD
Mr. Ramdin is a Fellow of Chartered Association of Certified Accountant and also holds a Post Graduate Degree in Tax Administration form University of Paris –Dauphine. He has served in Income Tax department in various capacities up to the grade of Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax and joined the Mauritius Revenue Authority in year 2006 as Director of Operational Services. He reckons 40 years of experience in taxation.
3. Mrs C. Gunnoo, Director MSTD
Mrs. Gunnoo is a Fellow of Chartered Association of Certified Accountants. She joined the MRA at its inception in 2006 as Director of Fiscal Investigations Department. Since 2013, she is Director of the Medium and Small Taxpayer Department. Prior to the coming into operation of the MRA, Mrs Gunnoo was at the VAT Department where she served in the capacity of Senior Investigating Officer, Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner. Before joining the VAT Department she served the Income Tax Department for some 15 years in various technical grades.
The MRA will make a presentation on the recent changes brought by the Finance Act 2019 to the Income Tax, the VAT Act and the MRA Act. The changes that will be covered by the resource persons are as follows:
- Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
- Special levy on banks
- Expenditure incurred for arbitration, conciliation or mediation under an Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanism
- National Social Inclusion Foundation
- Exemption of SIC Development Co. Ltd
- CSR on profit from goods manufactured in Freeport Zone and sold on local market
- Concept of POEM replaced by CM&C
- Controlled Foreign Company(CFC) rule
- Application before the judge in chambers (EOIR)
- Voluntary Disclosure of Income Scheme (Foreign Assets)
- Tax holidays
- Extension of partial exemption system
- Interest from money lent through P to P Platform
The new Scheme for Arrears of Tax and amendments to the VAT Act will also be looked at in details.
Target Audience: Law Practitioners
- Experience Level:
- Law Practitioners & Legal Officers